Thursday, June 15, 2006

Middle Eastern Restaurants -- One Gone, and One Still Around (and Outstanding)

Yesterday I heard that Sepal, one of my favorite Middle Eastern restaurants, closed their original Watertown restaurant. They still have one in the MIT student center in Cambridge, but I believe they aren't open for dinner (not yet, anyways), and it's a bit inconvenient for me to get to.

I was very sad to hear this news, as Sepal had some terrific Middle Eastern cuisine, including some of the best falafel I have had anywhere.

With Middle Eastern food on my mind, we went to Rami's in Coolidge Corner, Brookline, and had an excellent meal. In fact, I would say that the food was generally better than the food from Sepal. The falafel, in particular, was amazing; perhaps the best I have had anywhere.

It is too bad that Sepal closed their doors in Watertown, but at least there are still a few good Middle Eastern restaurants left in the Boston area. And Rami's is surely one of them.

-MH