Thursday, June 26, 2008

Review: Vinny T's, Lexington

A large group of us went over to Vinny T's of Boston on Waltham Street in Lexington a couple of weeks ago. I don't usually go to chains, and I had heard many negative things about Vinny T's (especially over the past year or two), so I went there with fairly low expectations. As it turns out, the place wasn't all that bad, and is in fact a decent place to go if you have about 15 people, as we did.

Because our group was so large, the staff sat us upstairs, which was a rather attractive (and quiet) dining area. We ordered a couple of plates of fried calamari for an appetizer--the calamari was tender and not rubbery at all, and the batter wasn't too greasy. Salads were decent overall, though they were a bit on the generic side with too much iceberg lettuce for my liking. As far as the entrees that everyone ordered, it seemed that most folks enjoyed their meals (including myself). I ordered the fettucine carbonara which had a nice mix of eggs, cream, Romano cheese, scallions, and bacon, and was reasonably priced at around $12.00. The only minor complaint about my dish was that it was a bit too salty, but overall, it was pretty tasty. The portion was huge (which is what you come to expect at Vinny T's), so I had plenty for lunch the next day.

Service was nearly perfect, as our waiters were always around when we needed them and they were completely professional from start to finish.

My overall view of our meal was a positive one--perhaps surprisingly so considering what I had heard about Vinny T's from others. I don't see myself rushing back to Vinny T's, as there are a number of Italian restaurants that I would rather go to, but in retrospect, it really wasn't all that bad of a place.

Here is the address and phone number for Vinny T's in Lexington:
Vinny T's of Boston
20 Waltham St
Lexington, MA 02421
phone: (781) 860-5200