Thursday, September 24, 2020

Taqueria El Barrio by the BU West Campus in Boston Has Closed

A Mexican restaurant that was popular with college students during its relatively brief time in business has shut down.

According to multiple sources, Taqueria El Barrio by the BU West Campus in Boston is no longer in business, with a Facebook post from owner Alex Saenz saying the following:

It's official....Permanently Closed. We lost our beautiful little Taquería. We tried. I’m sorry. I honestly don't have the right words to say what I need to say. It never got a chance....Even though I'm deeply saddened that I couldn't keep it going, I'm also aware that I'm lucky to have my health & other opportunities to lean on.

Seanz also says that the team at the Commonwealth Avenue eatery will be at BISq in Cambridge's Inman Square for the next couple of weeks while also mentioning that he is also looking at possibly keeping the place going and that he is currently looking at options to do so.

Taqueria El Barrio first opened in the former UBurger space in the summer of 2019, offering such items as tacos, tortas, and quesadillas.

The address for Taqueria El Barrio was 1022 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA, 02215.

by Marc Hurwitz (Also follow us on Twitter at @hiddenboston)


[A related post from our sister site (Boston's Hidden Restaurants): List of Restaurant Closings and Openings in the Boston Area]


Please help keep Boston Restaurant Talk and Boston's Hidden Restaurants going by making a one-time contribution or via a monthly subscription. Thanks! (Donations are non-deductible.)