Thursday, June 22, 2006

Restaurants in Medford

Medford is a bit of an odd place; it is a fairly large city (about 50,000 people) and has a close-knit, urban feel to it, but it has no bars or pubs, and not a whole lot of restaurants. The restaurants that are here, however, are often very good. So what are my favorites? Well, I can think of two right off the bat: Avellino's on Mystic Street and Giuseppi's Kitchen on Boston Avenue, though the latter is sometimes a bit inconsistent. Avellino's is the place to go if you like sandwiches. They have excellent steak tip subs, from what several people tell me. I really like the pizza there, too.

Some others that come to mind are La Cascia's Bakery in South Medford, which makes Sicilian-style pizza, and Bocelli's, which is right up the street from La Cascia's. Bocelli's has amazing pizza, as well as great pastas and veal. And the basement room is like something right out of a scene in Brooklyn.

One other place I went to recently that I liked a lot was Il Faro, which is located in Medford Center. Il Faro is a bit more upscale than most other restaurants in Medford, but the prices are pretty reasonable. It is a great place to take a date or to go to with a group of friends or family members.

I guess in retrospect, Medford does have its fair share of good restaurants. I just wish they has a comfy pub to go to so I could watch the Sox over a beer or two after having some good Italian food in one of the aforementioned places.

-MH