Monday, October 16, 2006

Joe's Pizza, Manhattan: Good, But Not the Best

I was in New York City the past few days and tried a number of restaurants I had never been to, including the famous Joe's Pizza on Carmine Street in Greenwich Village. We ordered some slices and grabbed a couple of seats inside the place, waiting in anticipation for the pizza. After a few minutes, we got our order and started downing the huge slices that they make there.

At first, I really liked the pizza, but after a few bites, I realized that it was not quite up to the level of Grimaldi's in nearby Brooklyn or Pepe's in New Haven. Granted, it is a bit different from those places, as it is classic New York pizza--the type of thin crusted pizza that you fold up to eat--but the flavors did not wow me like those at some of the best pizza places I have been to.

Overall, I'd rate it slightly below Grimaldi's and Da Nico in Little Italy, but I would put it above some of the other pizza places I have been to in Manhattan, including Mimi's on the Upper East Side and Vinnie's (recently closed) on the Upper West Side.

I definitely want to keep looking for that perfect pizza in Manhattan. After reading randominnyc: Pizza Quest: Manhattan Below 14th St., I think I have a few places I will need to try on my next trip to New York later in the year.

Tags: