Sunday, October 01, 2006

La Summa: A Pleasant Surprise in the North End

photo of La Summa, Boston, MAA group of us went to La Summa in the North End of Boston last night. I had heard about La Summa from many people over the past few years, but it's one of those places that is off the beaten path, and it's a rather humble, unpretentious spot that is easy to overlook. But I finally got there, and what a tremendous experience it was. From the wonderful atmosphere to the efficient waitstaff to the fabulous food, La Summa pleased in many ways.

The standout dish there had to be the Pappardelle E Melanzane. This amazing entree had homemade noodles with eggplant, basil, and garlic in a delicious red sauce. But the arancini (rice balls) were also outstanding, as was the veal with prosciutto and mushrooms in a sweet wine sauce. The calamari was a bit on the bland side, but not too bad an entree. And the wine we had--a terrific Italian merlot--was one of the best red wines I've had this year.

I'm glad I was finally able to make it to La Summa. It definitely won't be the last time I go there.

La Summa Cantina Italiana on Urbanspoon


Tags: