Tuesday, May 23, 2017

My Diner Is Returning to South Boston

A popular diner that left the city after it lost its home to new development might just be returning.

Caught in Southie is reporting that My Diner is planning to reopen in South Boston, with the new location being on E 1st near H Street. The article says that the plans were apparently discussed at a neighborhood abutters meeting last week and there was no opposition to the proposal. If all goes well, the new location of My Diner could be open by the end of the summer.

My Diner left Southie this past winter after it was forced to close last June to make way for condos. It had hoped to move from A Street to E 8th Street but those plans fell through and the eatery ended up moving to Main Street in Melrose. At this point in time, it appears that this would be a second location of My Diner but we have reached out to the restaurant to confirm this; as soon as we hear back, we will post an update here.

The Facebook page for My Diner in Melrose can be found at https://www.facebook.com/MyDiner/

[May 23 update: A message sent from the place indicates that this would indeed be a second location of My Diner with the Melrose outlet remaining in operation, but the plans for the South Boston location are in their very early stages so it is not a done deal as of yet.]

[July 6 update: Eater Boston states that My Diner has secured a space at 455 E 1st Street in South Boston, though no opening date has been given as of yet.]

[August 22 update: According to a source, My Diner could be one step closer to returning to South Boston by next week, as a hearing will take place on Wednesday, August 30 that focuses on its request for a common victualler license to operate at E 1st Street. We also hear that the new location may have an outdoor patio and that this could be discussed next week as well.]

[January 27, 2018 update: Caught in Southie states that My Diner hopes to open in South Boston on Tuesday or Wednesday, pending final inspections that are expected to take place on Monday.]

[February 14, 2018 update: A Facebook post from My Diner indicates that its new location in South Boston opens tomorrow (Thursday, February 15).]

[Earlier Articles]
Plans for My Diner to Reopen in South Boston Fall Through; Moving to Melrose
My Diner in South Boston Planning to Reopen in New Space
My Diner in South Boston Closes This Weekend; Will Be Replaced by Condo Development

Follow us on Twitter at @hiddenboston


[A related post from our sister site (Boston's Hidden Restaurants): List of Restaurant Closings and Openings in the Boston Area]