Thursday, June 19, 2008

Notes and Photos: Barbecue Beach Party, Boston, June 19, 2008

I spent the evening at the Phantom Gourmet's BBQ Beach Party at City Hall Plaza in Boston, just getting back a little while ago. I'm glad that this year, I went on a weeknight, as the lines were nonexistent and there was no sun blazing straight down on everyone (I went around noon on Sunday last year--never again). This year, I tried four different items at four places, two of which I had visited last year. Here is the rundown:

photo of Willingham's, BBQ Beach Party, Boston, 2008 Started at Willingham's (Memphis, Tennessee. I tried their pulled pork sandwich. It was pretty good, but a bit bland, even after putting some of their sauce on the meat. But their specialty is ribs, and a friend of mine who went said that the ribs at Willingham's were about the best he has ever had.



photo of Porky N Beans, BBQ Beach Party, Boston, 2008 From Willingham's, went right over to Porky n' Beans (St. Lucie, Florida). I ordered the boneless rib sandwich, which I liked better than the pulled pork at Willingham's. The meat was incredibly rich and tender, with a slight hot dog taste to it, and a deliciously sweet sauce that they poured on top of the meat. After awhile, the meat was almost too rich to eat, so I didn't quite finish the sandwich, but it really was quite good.



photo of Jack's, BBQ Beach Party, Boston, 2008 We took a bit of a break after Porky n' Beans, then headed over to Jack's Down Home Barbecue (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania). I had been to Jack's last year and really loved their pulled pork sandwich; this year, I ordered their pulled pork nachos plate. The nachos were basic, and the cheese was Velveeta (or something similar to Velveeta), but the pulled pork was outstanding once again, making this plate my favorite of the night up to this point.



photo of Q BBQ, BBQ Beach Party, Boston, 2008 We finished the evening at Q BBQ (Richmond, Virginia), which was another repeat for me. Last year, I had a hot dog with chili; this year, they were no longer serving hot dogs, so I went for the beef sandwich. It was not quite a brisket sandwich and not quite chopped beef, but was somewhere in between, but the meat had some tremendous flavor to it, and the sauce on the sandwich was the best I had all night.



I would have liked to have tried some of the other places at the BBQ Beach Party, but my stomach wouldn't allow it. My favorite dish of the night? I'm wavering between Jack's pulled pork nachos and Q BBQ's beef sandwich, perhaps giving the nod to Jack's, mainly because the pulled pork was so good.

For all who go to the BBQ Beach Party this weekend, have fun!